Tuesday, February 21, 2012

{DIY} Wine Cork Wall Art


A few days ago, I created this cork wall art piece to go over my wine rack, and I'm not going to lie, it was quite time-consuming, but quite easy as well. I am very happy with how it turned out. 

Step 1:

I bought an unfinished wooden tray at Michael's, (it cost about $2.50) and stained it with a dark walnut stain (which I already had, but you can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's for less than $5). 




Step 2:

To cut the cork pieces to the correct height, I used the height of the tray. It doesn't have to be perfect, but this will get you close enough to the proper measurement.



I used the wine stained parts of the corks to create the vine grape, and the word "VIN," which is "wine", in French ~ but I am sure you already knew that :)  Before gluing the pieces, I arranged them the way I wanted them to appear.  Make sure it is centered the way you want on the tray.  Once you are happy with the way it looks, glue each piece with all-purpose glue. I do not recommend using hot glue, since that will not allow to correct mistakes along the way. With all-purpose glue, you will be able to adjust as needed before it dries.



Step 3:


Fill in all the areas around the wine stained pieces with natural colored cork pieces. It will be like putting a puzzle together. Start with the round pieces, then fill in the "blanks" with smaller, made-to-fit pieces.


Here is a close-up:



If you'd like to darken the wine color on your design, you can use actual red wine and apply it with a small paint brush to the areas you wish to darken (another perfectly good excuse to crack open a bottle!). Be careful not to go over any part you do not want darken, because the wine will stain it right away. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment